posted Aug 15, 2016, 9:35 AM by Karen Mansfeldt
updated Nov 21, 2016, 10:14 AM
following are “Dos and Don’ts” to help assist Catholic entities during the 2016
Catholic Social Teaching and apply these values to legislation, public issues,
and ballot issues.
- Advocate for or against a particular ballot proposal.
- Conduct a non-partisan voter registration drive.
- Encourage Catholics to vote after evaluating candidate positions carefully and
having developed their conscience.
- Check with the diocesan attorney if there are questions about appropriate
invite selected candidates to address a church-sponsored group.
- Distribute partisan campaign literature or unapproved election material.
- Endorse/oppose candidates and political parties while acting as a
representative of the Church.
- Use organizational resources to participate in political activities or provide
financial support for candidates, political parties, or PACs.
- Conduct a voter registration slanted toward one candidate or political